SAT Instructor (Bay Area)
Location: Oakland, California
CollegeSpring is hiring SAT Instructors for part-time positions in Richmond, Berkeley and San Jose. See below for the job description. When you’re ready to apply, visit the application by clicking this button:Apply Here
CollegeSpring is a national non-proft organization that equips low-income students with the academic skills and mentoring they need to close the SAT, ACT, and college opportunity gaps. Since 2008, we have served more than 19,000 students in the San Francisco Bay Area, Southern California and New York, helping them achieve increased test scores, acceptances into better-matched, more-selective colleges, higher persistence rates, and greater opportunities for future success.
ABOUT THE OPPORTUNITY
We are searching for dynamic educators to join our team and become part of our hard-working, fun and collegial team. You will have the opportunity to partake in professional and career development, and have fun while working to make college a reality for our high schools students, many of whom will be the first in their families to go to college. This position requires a part-time commitment for the duration of the program. We currently have openings at sites in Richmond, Berkeley, and San Jose.
- 3+ years of teaching experience
- Currently holds a valid California teacher credential OR in pursuit of credential
WHAT YOU’LL DO (Responsibilities):
- Be available to teach after school and/or on Saturdays for the academic year starting in August 2018, and available to attend training on:
- August 11th, 2018: San Jose
- August 18th, 2018: Richmond
- September 8th, 2018: Oakland
- Lead a group of approximately 30 students in SAT Writing, Critical Reading, and Math instruction. Some schools may also require College Readiness Content.
- Prepare lessons and activities to deliver CollegeSpring curriculum.
- Assist in proctoring practice exams. Some sites may require full proctoring from instructor.
- Use data provided by CollegeSpring Programs Managers to help students identify areas of growth as it relates to their SAT performance.
- Act as a role model for CollegeSpring‘s high school students.
- Serve as a liaison between the CollegeSpring program and the host school.
You’ll be successful in this role if you have:
- Belief that all students are capable of success on the SAT, ACT and gaining admission to college.
- 3+ years of full-time teaching experience and a state teaching credential.
- Ability to explain concepts and processes in different ways to ensure student understanding.
- Strong organizational and time-management skills.
- Effective communication skills, written and verbal
- Previous SAT or ACT prep experience is not required.
- Comfortable teaching both math and English subjects.
Additional Requirements: This position requires a successful criminal background check and TB test.
- Instructors are paid $25/hour, including training.
- Instructors are compensated for teaching time, plus 2 hours of weekly preparation time.
Submit your resume and thoughtful cover letter to Hanna Doerr. Applications will only be considered if received through the CollegeSpring website. Please, no phone or email inquiries. No recruiters please.
CollegeSpring is committed to equal employment opportunity, including decisions regarding employment, for all qualified individuals without regard to race, creed, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, sexual orientation, disability, special disabled veteran or Vietnam Era Veteran status or other protected status. CollegeSpring is also committed to creating a diverse, open workplace, and we encourage applicants who are members of one or more protected categories.