Location: Los Angeles
CollegeSpring is hiring a Summer Instructor for a part-time position. See below for the job description. When you’re ready to apply, visit the application by clicking this button:Apply Here
CollegeSpring is a national non-proft organization that equips low-income students with the academic skills and mentoring they need to close the SAT, ACT, and college opportunity gaps. Since 2008, we have served more than 19,000 students in the San Francisco Bay Area, Southern California and New York, helping them achieve increased test scores, acceptances into better-matched, more-selective colleges, higher persistence rates, and greater opportunities for future success.
ABOUT THE OPPORTUNITY
We are searching for a dynamic educator to join our team as a Summer Instructor in Los Angeles. Summer staff will have the opportunity to partake in professional and career development, and have fun while working to make college a reality for our high schools students, many of whom will be the first in their families to go to college. This position requires a part-time commitment for the duration of the program. Typical working hours are 9-1 pm, 4 days per week, plus one 4 hour day for preparing lessons. Staff should have no other significant time commitments that would interfere with 1 day of training, one day for meet/greet and 3 weeks of programming.
The Summer Instructor is at the front lines of our summer program. For three weeks, they work in the classroom providing direct instruction to rising high school seniors. The Summer Instructor guides students through the SAT Reasoning exam and the college admissions process, and build students’ confidence and motivation. The Summer Instructor must have full-time teaching experience and hold a valid California teaching credential.
- Lead a group of approximately 25 students each in SAT Writing, Critical Reading, and Math instruction.
- Help students navigate the college admissions process (covering topics such as understanding types of schools, finding the “right fit,” accessing financial aid, etc).
- Prepare lessons and activities to deliver CollegeSpring curriculum.
- Assist in proctoring and grading practice exams.
- Use data to improve students’ SAT Reasoning scores.
- Act as a role model for CollegeSpring‘s high school students.
- Must be available for three weeks of summer programming, one day for meet/greet and one day of training.
QUALITIES OF SUCCESSFUL COLLEGESPRING STAFF MEMBERS:
- Knowledge of restorative practices.
- Belief that all students are capable of success on the SAT and gaining admission to college.
- Ability to explain concepts and processes in different ways to ensure student understanding.
- Strong organizational and time-management skills.
- Enjoy meeting new people and making meaningful connections.
- Effective communication skills.
- Previous SAT prep experience is not required.
Additional Requirements: This position requires a successful criminal background check and TB test.
Summer staff will be paid $25/hour, including a paid per-service training. A typical work week is 20 hours.
Submit your resume and thoughtful cover letter to Jennifer Torres. Applications will only be considered if received through the CollegeSpring website. Please, no phone or email inquiries. No recruiters please.
CollegeSpring is committed to equal employment opportunity, including decisions regarding employment, for all qualified individuals without regard to race, creed, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, sexual orientation, disability, special disabled veteran or Vietnam Era Veteran status or other protected status. CollegeSpring is also committed to creating a diverse, open workplace, and we encourage applicants who are members of one or more protected categories.