Orange County Instructor
CollegeSpring is looking for dynamic educators to join our team as Instructors in Orange County.
Applicants must have full-time teaching experience and hold a valid California teaching credential. Highly recommended current undergraduate students may also be accepted as an Instructor.
See below for a full job description. When you are ready to apply, click the button below.Apply Now
CollegeSpring is a national non-profit organization that equips low-income students with the academic skills and mentoring they need to close the SAT, ACT, and college opportunity gaps. Since 2008, we have served more than 19,000 students in the San Francisco Bay Area, Southern California, and New York, helping them achieve increased test scores, acceptances into better-matched, more-selective colleges, higher persistence rates, and greater opportunities for future success.
About the Position
We are searching for dynamic educators who will join our team as Academic Year Instructors. Instructors will have the opportunity to partake in professional and career development, meet other talented educators, and have fun while working to make college a reality for our high school students, many of whom will be the first in their families to go to college.
The Academic Year Instructor position requires a part-time commitment for the duration of the program, September to May. Typical working hours are 4-7pm, Tues-Thursday. Staff should have no other significant time commitments that would interfere with 1 day of training and October to May programming.
Instructors are at the front lines of our academic year program. Instructors work in the classroom providing direct instruction to rising high school seniors. Instructors guide students through the SAT Reasoning exam and the college admissions process, and build students’ confidence and motivation. Applicants must have previous teaching or tutoring experience.
- Lead up to six groups of approximately twenty-five students each in SAT Writing, Critical Reading, and Math instruction.
- Help students navigate the college admissions process (covering topics such as understanding types of schools, finding the “right fit,” accessing financial aid, etc.).
- Prepare lessons and activities to deliver CollegeSpring curriculum.
- Assist in proctoring and grading practice exams.
- Use student data to improve students’ SAT Reasoning scores.
- Collaborate with the undergraduate mentors on site.
- Act as a role model for CollegeSpring‘s high school students and undergraduate mentors.
- Report directly to Programs Manager on the progress of mentors and students.
- Serve as a liaison between the CollegeSpring program and the host school.
- May host a review session for students before the May SAT.
- Must be available for entirety of programming and a training day.
- Must pass criminal background check and TB test.
Qualities of Successful CollegeSpring Staff Members:
- Belief that all students are capable of success on the SAT and gaining admission to college.
- Ability to explain concepts and processes in different ways to ensure student understanding.
- Strong organization and time-management skills.
- Enjoy meeting new people and making meaningful connections.
- Effective communication skills.
- Previous SAT prep experience is not required.
Instructors will be paid $15-25/hour, depending on previous experience, level of education, and teaching credentials. Paid training is included, and a typical work week is approximately 10-12 hours.
We go to great lengths to ensure that our staff has a positive and productive work environment and experience. To that end, CollegeSpring also provides:
- Opportunities to meet education and non-profit leaders.
- Social events with other educators and undergraduates.
- Collaborative, good-humored, hardworking staff-mates who share the goal of building the best SAT prep and college readiness program possible.
CollegeSpring is committed to equal employment opportunity, including decisions regarding employment, for all qualified individuals without regard to race, creed, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, sexual orientation, disability, special disabled veteran or Vietnam Era Veteran status or other protected status.
CollegeSpring is also committed to creating a diverse, open workplace, and we encourage applicants who are members of one or more protected categories.