Location: Oakland, CA
The Development and Communications Coordinator is an integral member of a busy three-person team and will support revenue generation through proposal writing, prospect research, and project and data management. The Development and Communications Coordinator should be an excellent communicator with strong interpersonal skills, capable of writing persuasively to share CollegeSpring’s mission and programs with potential and current funders. This position will report to CollegeSpring’s Grant Writer but will also work closely with the Head of Development and Communications and the Head of California to support fundraising efforts in New York and California.
Proposal Writing and Reporting
- Write grant proposals, reports, and letters of intent for institutional funders in the California and New York regions. Assist Grant Writer with drafting national and multi-year grants.
- Consistently and accurately describe CollegeSpring’s impact and intervention in compelling language, using both external research and internal data.
- Project manage CollegeSpring’s entire grants process, including creating and maintaining grant and reporting calendars, requesting deliverables with appropriate lead time, and keeping all internal stakeholders informed of progress and responsibilities.
- Liaise with the Finance team to develop grant budgets and expenditure reports per funder guidelines.
- Collaborate with the Programs and Impact team to assemble program data for reporting purposes.
- Create and maintain a library of common grant attachments (budgets, board lists, tax documents, etc.)
- Respond to questions and feedback from internal stakeholders and revise proposals as needed.
- Conduct regular, proactive prospect research in all CollegeSpring markets to qualify potential individual, foundation, and corporate funders. Respond to additional requests for prospect research as needed, providing research in a detailed and timely manner.
- Use RelSci, Foundation Directory Online, LinkedIn, and other tools to research prospects identified by Board members, CEO, Head of Dev/Comm, and Head of California.
- Present prospect research to the Development team in a clear, accessible format.
- Prepare CollegeSpring fundraisers for external meetings by creating briefs as requested.
- Integrate prospect research into Salesforce and institutionalize best practices in prospect research and meeting briefs.
- Participate in fundraising strategy meetings.
Information Management and Administrative Support
- Support CollegeSpring’s Development team in managing their fundraising activities, including responding to requests for research, drafting select outreach, and tracking follow-up steps.
- Maintain CollegeSpring’s donor database system (Salesforce), continually updating records as needed to ensure accurate and up-to-date information.
- Produce regular and as-needed fundraising reports and share with the Development team.
- Manage CollegeSpring’s online donation platform (Classy) and related giving campaigns.
- Work closely with the CEO and her team to ensure that all Development correspondence and gift processing information, including grant restrictions and reporting requirements, are accurately recorded in Salesforce.
Communication and Events
- Assist Grant Writer in creating Development and Communications content, including presentations, mailings, email communications, web content, social media content, and donor letters.
- Update and maintain CollegeSpring’s website (WordPress) and social media accounts (LinkedIn, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram). Maintain CollegeSpring’s email mailing lists (Mailchimp).
- Support CollegeSpring team members with occasional Development events and logistics.
- Exceptional communication, persuasive writing, editing, and presentation skills.
- Demonstrated ability to write quickly in a collaborative environment, respond professionally to feedback, and incorporate revisions from multiple stakeholders into a final draft.
- Strong independent research skills to identify and qualify prospective donors and funding opportunities.
- Excellent project management, time management, and organizational skills.
- Demonstrated success working in a fast-paced, deadline-driven, team-based, and rapidly changing environment. Experience working with remote teams a plus.
- High comfort level with technology: proficiency with Google Suite and MS Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint) and social media (LinkedIn, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram) required. Experience with donor/CRM databases preferred; experience with Salesforce for nonprofits highly desired.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience. Degree in English, journalism, professional writing, communications, or other writing-intensive field preferred.
- 2+ years of relevant work experience.
- Passion for the mission of CollegeSpring and belief that a focused intervention at a critical point in a student’s life can change that student’s college-going trajectory.
- Commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion as guiding principles in the workplace.
- Self-starter; takes initiative to anticipate needs and design solutions. Proactively asks for feedback when necessary.
- Detail-oriented and results-driven; impeccable attention to grammar, proofreading, fact-checking, and accurate data representation.
- Flexibility and willingness to work and learn in a small, entrepreneurial environment.
- Strong work ethic and a sense of humor.