At CollegeSpring we equip schools and teachers with the tools to help students confidently prepare for the SAT and ACT. These tests are a critical part of college admissions, and every student deserves a chance to prepare. Yet test prep courses and private tutoring are often costly or hard to access. Our programs reduce this inequity by bringing high quality test preparation into schools. We build Test Confidence™ by training, supporting, and providing ongoing coaching to teachers at our partner schools to deliver the CollegeSpring curriculum to their students. Since 2008, CollegeSpring has helped provide school-day test prep to over 30,000 students in the San Francisco Bay Area, Southern California, Michigan and New York. We are preparing to launch services in TX and FL.
ABOUT THIS ROLE
Reporting to the Head of Finance & Operations, the Finance and Operations Director is a new role at CollegeSpring for someone who is eager to “own” and streamline finance, and has a passion for operational excellence–all in the name of creating a strong infrastructure for a growing organization. The primary responsibility will be to manage all aspects of finance including the monthly close, accounts receivable and payable, annual audits, budget and forecasting, and a variety of financial reporting needs. This person will help CollegeSpring scale by bringing finance in-house from an outsourced model, building efficient processes that meet our business objectives, ensuring financial compliance, and turning data into actionable information. The role will also manage the IT support vendor and managing shared technology needs for the organization, support contracting and bid proposals, and serve as a backup to the HR Manager.
This is a fantastic position for an experienced and driven finance leader who thrives with a variety of tactical and strategic work, enjoys owning accounting end-to-end, and is committed to continually improving processes. You are a numbers person at heart, enjoy diving into the details, and being hands-on. You are strategic and creative, and love to solve problems. You have a strong attention to detail, are proactive with communication, and thrive when managing multiple projects at once.
WHAT YOU’LL DO
- Lead efforts to bring accounting systems and processes fully in-house (currently outsourced), including implementation of bill.com
- Manage all aspects of the monthly close cycle with a high level of accuracy and timeliness
- Responsible for accounts payable and receivable, working with internal teams and vendors/partners, optimizing ACH and auto-pay functions for efficiency, and managing credit card and staff reimbursements
- Build upon existing processes and look for improvements to streamline and strengthen financial controls, policies and procedures
- Maintain and update financial policies and procedures with an eye for controls and efficiency
- Compile grant and donor requested financial reports in partnership with Development team
- Reconcile and audit accounting data in preparation of monthly financial statements including credit card transactions, bank reconciliation, insurance payments, online income, staff reimbursements, etc.
- Lead annual audit and preparation of tax filings
- Analyze vendor utility and value
- Develop financial reports, analyses, and forecasts in support of budget to actual performance, year end projections, pricing models, and “what-if” scenarios
- Lead annual budget preparation, working closely with department heads
- Responsible for cash management and ensuring compliance with the investment policy approved by the Finance Committee
- Business Insurance:
- Maintain strong relationship with insurance broker and support annual renewals for D&O, general liability, and worker’s compensation
- Partner with vendor to address all IT needs
- Managing all current technology inventory, assessing needs and overseeing purchasing and deployment
- Compile and maintain an inventory of company software and system and their corresponding contracts/agreements
- Software Administration
- Working with the HR manager, set up or close out employee accounts for dropbox, g-suite, zoom
- Draft contracts using established templates
- Maintain a log and electronic filing system for all vendor contracts and ensure that payments are made in accordance of such
- Support Partnerships team in completing RFPs and bids
- Human Resources
- Serve as a strong partner and backup to HR Manager for bi-weekly payroll processing, benefits administration, and recruiting.
HOW YOU’LL DO IT
- Mission and values-driven: You hold a passionate commitment to and a sense of urgency for the support of teachers, along with a belief that all students can achieve at high levels. You are motivated by working in an environment where we live out our core values daily.
- Communication: You have compelling writing skills, an excellent attention to detail, and the ability to anticipate questions and needs of different audiences who have different needs. You inspire, influence, and motivate people to action, support decision making and build trusting, transformational relationships internally and externally.
- Problem Solving: You excel at leveraging others thoughts and expertise in order to problem solve collaboratively and view an issue holistically. You lean into challenges as opportunities and proactively seek out problems to solve. You are able to look at situations from multiple viewpoints and identify potential pitfalls or challenges early on and provide possible solutions. You demonstrate a commitment to not resting on how things have always been done.
- Relationships: You have a deep curiosity in learning about people and their needs. You have interpersonal and adaptable skills to navigate a lot of different personalities, power structures, and varying priorities. You are able to be a true thought partner with stakeholders and add value to relationships.
- Data Analysis: You have the ability to interpret numbers, reports, data and trends and use that to inform decisions, program improvements and communication. You have the ability to find trends in data and translate those trends into strategic recommendations.
- Collaboration: You have strong awareness of when to lean in and step back, when to leverage expertise of self and others. You have strong respect for different thoughts and opinions when approaching a project. You have the ability to fill in the gaps and highlight areas that others may have missed. You have the ability to communicate with different people and teams and manage communication from others – all while committed to a shared outcome.
- Project Management: You have a strong command and management of stakeholder roles in project completion and sign off. You have the ability to prioritize communication of the project and work with a broader stakeholder group as a part of overall project planning. You are able to manage up, down and across the organization and manage a project in a timely way that stays under budget.
Experience and Qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree required; MBA and/or CPA preferred
- 5-7 years of experience in nonprofit finance and grant management
- Knowledge of Quickbooks or similar software
- Deep understanding of GAAP and financial compliance
- Comfort with leading in remote work environments
DETAILS ABOUT THE ROLE
- Compensation for this role is competitive and in alignment with nonprofit roles in major U.S. markets. We will share the details of compensation for this role in initial conversations.
- Compensation includes a generous benefits package including health, dental, vision, life, STD, LTD, retirement plan, and PTO/holidays.
- CollegeSpring is committed to providing flexible working arrangements for parents, caregivers, and all team members, particularly given the ongoing pandemic.
- This role is remote and can be done anywhere in the U.S.
- We are actively working to build a diverse team; people of color, people from working class backgrounds, LGBTQ folks, and people with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply. We are an equal opportunity employer and do not discriminate based upon gender, race, national origin, disability, age, religion, sexual orientation, or gender. We encourage you to review our anti-racism stance.
HOW TO APPLY
To apply, please click on this link. The position will remain open until filled, though we encourage you to apply as soon as possible, with an anticipated start date in late June.