Location: Oakland, CA
The Assistant to the CEO will manage the CEO’s day-to-day workflow so that she is able to complete her obligations in an organized, efficient way. They will routinely communicate with board members, donors, and external partners and must display the highest level of professionalism and discretion in all written and verbal communication. As a trusted partner of the CEO, they will be expected to maintain confidentiality and use discretion when handling sensitive information. An essential element of this role also includes the execution of CollegeSpring’s operational work under the supervision of the Head of Business Operations. This is a full-time, exempt position based in Oakland, CA.
Assisting the CEO (50%)
- Coordinate the CEO’s internal and external meetings, including but not limited to board meetings, team meetings, off-site meetings, one-on-one meetings, etc.
- Arrange travel schedules, itineraries, and expense reports for CEO using knowledge of airlines, airports, ground transportation, accommodations, etc. to make thoughtful and efficient travel plans, taking into account organizational policies, individual preferences, and budget and time constraints.
- Manage the CEO’s correspondence by monitoring and organizing her inbox and drafting professional emails on her behalf as necessary.
- Update and maintain Salesforce records of CEO’s contacts and communication.
- Proactively manage the CEO’s tasks, to do lists, deadlines, and correspondence to ensure everything is delivered in a timely manner.
- Perform basic information gathering, research, and analysis as requested.
- Assist with preparation of presentation materials and briefs to ensure that the CEO is prepared for meetings.
- Attend and take notes in meetings as needed and follow up on action items.
- Establish, maintain, and update files, databases, records, and/or other documents; develop and maintain data; and perform routine data entry, analyses, and calculations for ad hoc and recurring reports.
Operations Management (35%)
- Manage gift processing, including logging donations in Salesforce, generating thank you letters and tax receipts, and sending weekly gift reports to notify relationship managers of received donations.
- Assist in the building of efficient systems and lead in maintaining those systems.
- Manage general office operations to ensure teams have appropriate resources to do their jobs, including but not limited to ordering office supplies, opening mail, renewing software licenses, and working with IT to troubleshoot problems as they arise.
- Schedule all-staff meetings and assist with yearly staff retreat planning.
- Occasionally book travel accommodations and lead logistics for leadership team meetings and gatherings.
- Support Head of Business Operations in annual planning, quarterly impact reviews and culture building.
- Support mentor recruitment, interviewing, and on-boarding process on an as-needed basis.
- Support hiring, onboarding, and payment processing of additional seasonal program support on an as-needed basis.
- Other special projects will be assigned as organizational needs arise.
- Engage in “stretch projects” that will seek to develop skills and interests.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, including detailed attention to grammar and copy editing. Ability to communicate clearly and effectively with senior leaders, board members, donors, and external partners.
- Flawless execution of administrative activities, with high attention to detail, organization and process.
- Proven ability to manage projects, organize and prioritize tasks, work under pressure, and consistently meet deadlines.
- Proactive problem solving skills and the ability to offer suggestions and make improvements to existing processes and workflows.
- High level of confidentiality, discernment, and judgment.
- Ability to be flexible in response to changing priorities and needs.
- Strong teamwork skills and ability to communicate and collaborate effectively within a geographically dispersed team.
- Demonstrated ability and willingness to continuously acquire new competencies and accept new challenges.
- Proficiency with MS Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint) and G Suite (Gmail, Google Calendar, Google Hangout).
- Salesforce experience a plus.
- 1-2 years of administrative experience.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience.
- Passion for CollegeSpring’s mission and belief that a focused intervention (SAT score improvement and mentoring) at a critical point in a student’s life can change that student’s trajectory.
- Commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion as guiding principles in the workplace.
- Flexibility and willingness to work and learn in a small, entrepreneurial environment.
- Strong work ethic and desire to learn about the nonprofit sector, education, and the college access space.
- Due to events, a willingness to work occasional early mornings and evenings is required for this position.