Location: Oakland, CA
The Instructional Coach supports a portfolio of partner schools by training and coaching teachers and college mentors to deliver the CollegeSpring program. The instructional coach believes that impact on students is possible through supporting dedicated and capable teachers and mentors. The role of the coach is to build teacher and mentor capacity and their understanding of the CollegeSpring Test Confidence™ curriculum and program. Instructional Coaches work collaboratively as a team across the region and with members of the national Programs and Impact team. This is not a supervisory position to teachers.
Teacher Coaching and Support
- Build strong relationships with teachers through program partnership, coaching, and support, ensuring that teachers understand CollegeSpring mission and goals.
- Coach teachers to deliver the CollegeSpring program, adjust pacing of lessons, engage students, and develop their knowledge of Test Confidence ™.
- Regularly communicate and meet with teachers to understand successes and challenges of CollegeSpring program instruction and delivery.
- Assist teachers with resources, materials, tools, and information to strengthen CollegeSpring instruction and planning.
- Support integration of Test Confidence ™ curriculum into class or school-wide curriculum.
- Assist teachers with class planning, the development of differentiated lessons, and the selection of best practices to meet the needs of their students.
- Complete non-evaluative site and teacher level observations and provide feedback.
- Be on school campuses a minimum of two days per month, adjusting support and meeting cadence to meet program needs and ensure high-quality delivery of program by teachers.
- At Core Program sites, observe mentors using formal and informal tools to support high-quality mentor groups and provide feedback to ensure strong mentor delivery of Test Confidence™.
Training and Ongoing Development
- Create, adapt, and deliver high-quality training to CollegeSpring teachers and mentors.
- Using observations and practice test data, develop and implement ongoing training sessions for teachers and mentors across the network, specifically focusing on needs across your portfolio of sites.
- Deliver additional training and mini-training sessions as part of organizational wide training plans.
Data and Learning
- Monitor student, teacher, and school level data to look for trends and create action plans across portfolio and region to ensure that data is being used to drive instruction.
- Work with teachers in setting and monitoring class and student level goals, focused on observations and practice test data.
- In partnership with regional and national teams, support program evaluation and on-going data monitoring and reviews to strengthen CollegeSpring program.
- Create action plans based on observation and test data to support individualized teacher practice.
- Work across regional team to ensure region and organization meet goals.
- Support Partnership Coordinators in conducting quarterly meetings with school administration.
- With regional Partnership Coordinator team, ensure programmatic logistics and implementation needs are being met for school partners, teachers, and mentors.
- Partner with other Instructional Coaching staff across the region and nationally to share and develop best practices, review data, and make organization-wide adjustments in order to ensure continuous programmatic improvement.
- Work closely with the national Programs & Impact team and partnerships team to ensure schools and teachers are getting the support they need.
The Ideal candidate will demonstrate the following:
- Mission and values-driven: You hold a passionate commitment to and a sense of urgency for the support of teachers, along with a belief that all students can achieve at high levels. You are motivated by working in an environment where we live out our core values daily.
- Strategic thinker: You are self-organized and can strategically plan and prioritize your time aligned to highest-impact moves to achieve individual and organizational goals.
- Learner: You like learning new things on the job, and can enthusiastically contribute to a professional learning community. You believe in continuous learning, and that learning comes in many ways.. You are solutions oriented and self-reflective in your own professional development, and also seek out support for areas of growth.
- Relationships: You excel at relationship-building, and are effective at collaborating with others. You have taken on leadership and participation in a wide range of professional development activities. You have experience working alongside teachers and in schools and are motivated by creating and nurturing a professional community of adult learners and teachers.
- Adaptability: You can seamlessly navigate a matrixed organization, and like a fast-paced, ever-changing environment. Proven ability to work cooperatively and effectively with colleagues across multiple functional areas, including the ability to create and nurture a professional community of adult learners.
Experience and Qualifications:
- At least 3 years teaching experience, or 2 years coaching or training adults.
- Demonstrated experience in delivering high-quality training for teachers and/or adult learners, and giving feedback to others
- Proven ability in using student-level data to guide instructional decisions.
- Experience and demonstrated success in coaching others to meet goals.
- Experience collaborating with multiple school wide stakeholders (principals, teachers, counselors) towards ensuring student level impact and success.
- Demonstrated evidence of professional growth, including leadership and participation in a wide range of significant professional development activities.
- Bachelor’s degree required; MA or teaching credential preferred.
- Experience in the test prep or college access space a plus.
- Salesforce and , g+suite use
OTHER THINGS TO KNOW
This position travels regularly to program sites in the region.
There may be occasional evening and weekend work.
Physical requirements are those of a typical office environment.