Location: San Jose, CA
CollegeSpring is a national non-profit organization that equips schools and their teachers with a program that enables students to build their test confidence, increase their results on the SAT and ACT exams, and open up a lifetime of opportunities. Since 2008, we have served more than 25,000 students in the San Francisco Bay Area, Southern California, and New York, helping students achieve increased test scores, acceptances into better-matched, more-selective colleges, higher persistence rates, and greater opportunities for future success.
ABOUT THE OPPORTUNITY
We are searching for a dynamic educator who will join our team as an SAT Instructor at a school in San Jose for the summer. Instructors are at the front lines of our program and work in the classroom providing direct instruction to high school students. They guide students through the SAT exam, the college admissions process, and build students’ confidence and motivation.
Staff will have the opportunity to partake in professional and career development and have fun while working to make college a reality for our high schools students, many of whom will be the first in their families to go to college. The CollegeSpring position requires a part-time commitment for the duration of the program (detailed below) Instructors must have teaching/tutoring experience or hold a valid California teaching credential.
WHAT YOU’LL DO (Responsibilities)
- Dates of Instruction: July 30 – August 15
- Time: Tuesday through Thursday from 1:00 – 4:30 pm
- Lead groups of approximately 25 students for three weeks in SAT Writing, Critical Reading, and Math instruction.
- Help students navigate the college admissions process and how the SAT affects it (covering topics such as understanding eligibility indexes, goal setting, etc.).
- Prepare lessons and activities to deliver CollegeSpring curriculum.
- Proctoring and grading practice exams.
- Use student data to improve students’ SAT scores.
- Act as a role model for CollegeSpring‘s high school students.
- Must be available for summer programming (July 30-Aug 15) and one day of orientation/training.
QUALITIES OF SUCCESSFUL COLLEGESPRING STAFF MEMBERS
- Belief that all students are capable of success on the SAT and gaining admission to college.
- Ability to explain concepts and processes in different ways to ensure student understanding.
- Strong organizational and time-management skills.
- Enjoy meeting new people and making meaningful connections.
- Effective communication skills.
- Previous SAT prep experience is not required.
Additional Requirements: This position requires a successful criminal background check and TB test.
- Instructors are paid $25/hour, including training, prep and meeting times.